Monday, December 27, 2004

Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/27/2004 | On Barnes plans, lessons in success and failure

Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/27/2004 | On Barnes plans, lessons in success and failure: "Also, Bailey said it was important for supporters of the move to make sure an artistic vision - not just a financial one - is central to the planning. The foundation's backers, he said, need to answer these questions: 'Why are we doing this? Why does the world need the Barnes collection to be preserved and interpreted and presented to the world?'" wrote Horn.

My desire to see the paintings at the Barnes is small. Why? There are many artists whose work I love to look at and they are not in the Barnes collection. It seems to me that there is a kind of art watching that some people go through that makes them feel cultured, like bird watching, they need to fill their life lists of artists and museums that are recognized as "important". This gives them a social status that can be shared at dinner parties.

I have sat in front of "Spring" for two hours. I have been stopped in my tracks by Titan. I marvel at a Dan Dallmann. I love the complexity of Jack Beals' mural in the 42nd St. subway station. I love the form of Rodin and have spent many hours following the rhythms he created. I look at art the same way others read a good novel. It takes time, not what the "New Barnes" seems to want to offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home