Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Value of Fame and all the rest

The above link is for a Yahoo press release about how well the art market is doing. How many artists sell paintings for $5000.00? What is the real financial health of artists? This week I'm remodeling a basement for a friend. This work helps to pay the bills. It is a craft of a kind and uses some of my skills, but it is not art. I've spent more than half my working life doing these kinds of jobs for contractors and others while day dreaming about how I would make a new life sized figure if I had around $50,000.00 to spend on the cost of making a statue. One of the most frequent questions asked of me is "how long did it take to make?" This goes along with the question asked of Picasso, Why do you paint? The value of art is in the end what people believe is meaningful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home